Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Mr. Darcy’s Pemberley Pomegranate Scones

Over the weekend, I was planning to host a tea for a few close friends who also happen to be fellow Jane Austen Addicts. I wanted to come up a new scone recipe as I had grown tired of the normal ones and wanted something a bit different.

Unfortunately, I was stumped and seeing that the tea was only a few days away, I resigned myself to making my old tried-and-true Scottish Gingerbread Scones. So, with my scone dilemma remedied, I fixed me a cuppa tea in my Mrs. Darcy mug and set to rereading, “Two Become One”, the first book in Sharon Lathan’s Darcy Saga.

After reading the first few chapters, I started wondering what kind of scones Mr. Darcy would have ordered to be made. (I say ordered to be made because I just do not see Fitzwilliam Darcy rummaging around in the kitchens whisk in hand wearing a Regency-style “Kiss the Cook” apron.) Thus, Mr. Darcy’s Pemberley Pomegranate Scones were born! I am fairly sure that Lady Catherine would be highly envious of the delicious delights!

Of course, if you are having Darcy-inspired scones, you will have to have a tea worthy of the owner of Pemberley thus I recommend Twinings of London’s Darjeeling Tea. Known as the “Champagne of Teas”, it is described as a ‘delicate Indian tea with a unique character that is liked to the Muscatel grape’. I believe that Mr. Darcy would approve.

I hope you enjoy the scones & tea!






Photobucket














Mr. Darcy’s Pemberley Pomegranate Scones

Preheat oven to 425 F.
Ingredients:

2 Cups of Self-Rising Flour*
1 ¼ teaspoons of Baking Powder
1 ½ Sticks of Butter, cold cut into chunks
⅓ Cup of Sugar
2 Large Eggs
½ Cup Milk
½ Cup of Dried Pomegranates
½ Teaspoon of Nutmeg
¼ Teaspoon of Cloves
1 Teaspoon of Cinnamon


*If you do not have self-rising flour you can make your own.
-For every 1 cup of Flour add 1 ½ teaspoons of Baking Powder and a pinch of salt.

Sift together Flour and Baking Powder in a large mixing bowl.
Add in Sugar and chunks of Butter. (Cold butter will mix better).













PhotobucketPhotobucket


Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles bread crumbs.

Photobucket


In a separate bowl, add two large eggs and milk.
Photobucket

Whisk together until frothy.

Photobucket




Pour Egg-Milk mixture into the Flour mixture.
Stir together with a wooden spoon until the mixture is slightly blended.

Photobucket




Place mixture upon a floured surface and kneed, about 1-2 minutes, until it resembles dough. DO NOT OVER KNEED, this will make the dough tough.

Photobucket



Place your dough into a clean mixing bowl.
Add in dried Pomegranates, nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon.


Photobucket


Mix together with hands.
Place on floured surface, kneed 2-3 times to ensure Pomegranates are evenly blended.



Roll dough out to ½ an inch in thickness and cut with a medium sized biscuit cutter.

Photobucket




(If you prefer wedges, roll dough into an 9 inch circle (½ an inch in thickness), and cut into 6-8 wedges.)
Place on ungreased baking sheet for 15 minutes at 425 degrees.
Remove and place on a wire cooling rack then either serve or store.*



*If you are planning on serving these fresh from the oven brush tops with milk and sprinkle with sugar before placing them into the oven.

*If you are planning to store, make sure that they are cooled completely before placing in an airtight container.







Photobucket




Until We Meet Again,


3 comments:

  1. I am so glad I came across this. It looks fabulous! Will have to try the recipe out soon.

    Oregon Kimm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound delicious. Perfect for breakfast tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your site <3....

    ReplyDelete